Sunday, December 13, 2009

Last Dance

December 9th, 2009
Last Dance?
December 17th is going to be a very important date for the people living in the area around Spink. The Union County Board of Adjustment is going to meet to consider a request from Sean Brady for a Conditional Use Permit to open a Lounge and Bar at the current location for the Garryowen Church. Your input to the board is vital.
Personally, I am opposed to the possibility of a steak house/bar/lounge coming into this area. Not for what it is, but what it represents. I’m not opposed to private enterprise, which is what this country is all about. What I’m opposed to is developing in this area because of the possibility of what may come down the road with the Hyperion refinery issue. Ask yourselves would this be happening if it wasn’t for what is a possibility down the road. I think not.
What really bothers me about this whole issue is that I’ve never heard anything from the people around this area what they think about the whole deal. Is it a good thing for the community? Does anyone really care what happens? I’ve not heard a word either way except for talking to one or two people. Is everyone resigned to the fact that there isn’t anything that can be done about it? Maybe I shouldn’t be so concerned about this issue but unfortunately for some. I really care about what happens. I can see this area changing drastically if this comes to pass, and I hardly think it will be for the betterment of us all. Is this a case of leave me alone or what? Believe me when I say this, your voice does count.
This isn’t like a wedding where you speak now or forever hold your peace, this is a case of speak now or don’t ever complain about what comes down the road. There is an old saying that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you don’t want this in the community, then you have to go to the meeting and tell them what you feel. At least tell your representative from this district how you feel and hope he votes for the constituents. I don’t believe that last statement either. If I did, Hyperion wouldn’t be an issue. When has the county ever listened to us?
I’m sorry if I upset those of you who are either for this happening or don’t express an opinion. It is my firm belief that this is not good for us. I don’t believe that a refinery is coming here, but whatever comes to take its place is not good either. This issue is not going away. At some point and time we are going to have to face the music, and it might as well be now while we can still select the tune.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home