Monday, June 2, 2008

With Baited Breath

June 4th 2008
With Baited Breath
The easy part in this campaign to stop Hyperion is done. Now comes the hard part – waiting. Waiting with baited breath. I know our cause was just and I know we were right. That means we will win. Positive thoughts bring positive action. I think I hear the fat lady warming up in the background.
The turn out at Spink on Saturday for our last rally was really successful. Several speakers addressed a crowd of between 350 and 400 energized folks on pointed issues regarding oil refineries and pollution. The bands were great. Ed Johnson & Michelle Martin, Fiddler Nelson, T. Wilson King, and Sling Shot. There was music for everybody. It was a great cause and effect presentation.
By the time everyone will be reading this, the outcome of the election will have been known for a little over 24 hours. I said from the very first day that we will win this, and I am always true to my word. We have good sense, good people, honesty and logic on our sides, so it is only natural that we should win. Everyone connected with this project put their hearts and souls into making this a reality come true. I couldn’t be prouder to have been associated with them. It makes my heart glad to know that there are still people in this world that care about their land and their environment. I consider it an honor and pleasure to be in their company. They are the most unselfish people I have ever met. You deserve a huge thank you from all of us.
I said in one of my earlier articles that God put me on this earth for a reason. He made arrangements for me to come to Union County and take care of 15 acres of his land. I don’t own it; God owns it and has selected me to take care of it for him. That makes me feel special. For him to think that I am good enough to be his caretaker is truly a humble calling. I’m not sure I can live up to his expectations, but I will try and am trying my best to do that for him.
I also think it was fate that I was in a position to help stop this refinery. This proposed refinery would have been bad for us and our area and this was a wake-up call that we need to stay close to each other and to be diligent to ensure this type of thing doesn’t happen again. As much as I enjoyed the excitement and the challenge, I think it is time to rest a bit. Even if it is only for one day. I’m sure I’m going to wake up Wednesday morning with more things on my mind that will need serious and immediate attention. In the meantime, I am going to just sit back and bask in the knowledge that we took on the big guys, and we won.
Hyperion came in here and thought we were pushovers. They thought this refinery deal was going to be a slam dunk. Well, we showed our heritage when you talked about taking our land and turning it into slop. You woke us from a deep peaceful sleep and we responded with force and perseverance to stop them in their tracks.
This issue will convince the rest of the oil companies that refineries in South Dakota are not going to happen and they need to leave us alone.
I’m going to change the name of this column if Dodie will let me continue to write for the Hometowner. I’m going to call it “Old Cranky Says.” I’m never at a loss for words, and I always have an opinion about something, whether it be good or bad. Hopefully I can keep you entertained and informed at the same time. There are still some things that need to be said about this refinery issue. This vote on the 3rd was just round one. This issue might drag on for many years, and I intend to be there to ensure that they do not stick a spade in the ground to begin construction.
I will have comments for it next week. I am all hyperioned out and thankfully so. This has been one hell of a ride folks.

Old Cranky (Doug)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home