Sunday, February 13, 2011

I'm really torqued off

<$BlogMetaData$>I’m really torqued off!


How do you say ‘I’m really pissed off’ in English? I take great pride in the fact that information in the articles that I submit to the paper is correct. I may add quirky little quips after some of the things I say. My remarks to articles that I write about have a biased slant to them; that is the whole purpose of this column, but I print the facts. I may not agree with them, but I print them. If I agree with my sources, I say why. If I disagree, I say why. If I write it, you can be assured that what I’m saying is correct. (Sgt Joe Friday used to say ‘just the facts ma’am, just the facts)

Now having said that, I wish there were some other papers that could say that. There was a press release put out last week by DENR or Hyperion about some issues that have arisen about the proposed refinery in Union County. Other papers chose to pick this statement apart and only use portions of it. That is why I’m really torqued off. I am either naive or innocent. (I know I’m not innocent so I must be naïve). It has always been my understanding, up until now, that the papers printed the news but left it up to the reader to determine if it was right or wrong and agree or disagree. (‘Not so’.) I can understand a liberal or conservative slant to the news, but to omit facts altogether to enhance your viewpoint is not good journalism in my view. In fact I consider it propaganda. Propaganda, yes that is a good term to use isn’t it? If a paper purposely misleads the reader on one subject do you suppose they do it on others as well? (Oh No-o-o-o-). Why that would be propaganda not news reporting. To me when a paper loses its credibility they lose everything.

I would like to quote James Heisinger again on his thoughts for the EPA. “We must support the EPA; they arrived like a gift from God, just in time to stall an incredible and deserving flood of industrial carcinogens and environmental destruction, a gift from corporate America. Unless we at least support the EPA, and place some trust in science the good life on this good earth will continue the present remarkably rapid change. We will have cast ourselves out of the figurative Garden of Eden.”

Sometimes articles are written to inform you and sometimes they are written to scare you. in the February issue of the Union County Electric ‘Cooperative Connections’ was an article about your electric rates possibly going up and the cause and effect of the EPA putting new regulations into effect. It is my opinion that this is an article written to scare everyone to be against the EPA because of them all utility companies will be forced to raise their rates. The name of the article is “Red Tape Overload”. One of the most scaring paragraphs in the article says – “Clearly, EPA is wielding the Clean Air Act as a bludgeon, pressing it into service because the outgoing Congress was unable to agree on how to curb greenhouse gases emissions blamed for contributing to climate change.” Notes Glenn English, CEO of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) based in Arlington VA.

The rest of the article points to different decisions the EPA has rendered that have resulted in unfavourable situations for people.

I would like to remind people that the EPA was created by the clean air act of 1970. It had 2 missions at that time which was to regulate smog emissions from automobiles in the United States, mainly California and stop Acid Rain which was decimating the forests throughout the north and northeast. As a result of their aggressive rulings, California now has the strictest rules in the country for emissions from not only automobiles but factories and coal fired power plants as well. Acid rain is a thing of the past. You never hear of instances of acid rain devastating the forests anymore.

Now however, industry especially power plants are preaching to anyone that will listen that because of the stringent demands of the EPA your electric rates will go through the roof. Power companies are refusing to make changes to meet the standards and are putting the blame on everyone but themselves. Scare Tactics!

Have they asked us what we are going to do when the rates increase? No they have not. I’m sure we will do the same thing when other adversities face us, we will improvise and adapt. We have done that since forever when faced with shortages. We will turn to alternative energies. We will conserve. We will do without, but we will change. Prices on commodities are based on the law of supply and demand. We demand and they supply. When they have a glut on the market for electricity the price will come down. Their profits will no longer be double and triple digits for the stockholders, but a more moderate profit margin and maybe even a loss, but we will come out the better for it.

Climate change and global warming is not a myth. It is fact. Last year in Antarctica there was a glacier that broke away from the continent that was larger than the state of Rhode Island. Why did this happen? It happened because of global warming. Birds are migrating earlier; weather anomalies are more frequent both in summer and winter around the world. Why does this happen? Climate change is why this is happening.

It is up to each and every one of us to support the EPA in this challenging time because if not for the EPA and environmental organizations like the Sierra Club not stepping in there would be nobody to stop industry from running ramped and things will continue to get worse. All because of GREED. Plain and simple GREED. Even if we do nothing, i can guarantee that your rates will continue to rise. Now you can understand why I’m really torqued off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home